Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Announcements:
Jamroom 1.0 STABLE has been released **updated 08/31**
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/29/03 15:45 
I have updated the Downloads page to point to first NON-BETA version of Jamroom, version 1.0

version 1.0 contains only a small number of tweaks and things added, since I wanted this version to be a good "base" for moving forward with new development. The following changes are in version 1.0 (when compared to version 1.0b5):

Changes made in Jamroom 1.0 (08/31/2003)

1. a new settings.cfg.php variable has been added "$config[max_execution]" that will allow you to adjust , in seconds, how long a single Jamroom process can run for.
2. another new settings.cfg.php variable called "$config[safemode_imports]" that will allow you to turn file importing back on even if you are running in PHP safe mode - set this to yes only if you understand the restrictions PHP Safe Mode places on Jamroom and you know how to deal with it.
3. some small text changes, spelling fixes, etc.

This SHOULD be a very stable release as I have tested it a lot internally. I have already begun development on Jamroom 1.1 and will have some news shortly on the new features you can expect in the next branch of Jamroom.

Please let me know if you run into any issues! Thanks!

- Brian

Changes made in Jamroom 1.0 BETA 5 (08/21/2003)

1. The install.php script does much more error checking now, and verification of the PHP environment. This prevents other errors later on when Jamroom is installed.
2. Two (2) new variables in the settings.cfg.php file now allow you to override the auto-detected paths internal to Jamroom. (this came in as a bug in which PHP was not setting PHP_SELF correctly)
3. The Theme Engine has been modified to be about 15% faster, as well as provide new support for "alt" templates (see new Theme Developers Guide for complete details on building themes)
4. the play.php script (for sreaming audio) now uses a 8 digit random MD5 string for the playlist file name - this prevents some wierd instances where the previous playlist exists and Netscape doesn't like to "play" it again.
5. all 4 of the included themes have been "cleaned" up a bit - the MOSS GREEN theme has had its default font changed from Courier to Verdana (this looks nicer across different browsers - it is easy to change back by modifying the page.css file in the jm_moss_1.0 theme directory), as well as the MASTER config file for a theme has been changed from page.cfg to theme.cfg. (note that if you have created a custom page.cfg theme file, merely rename it to theme.cfg for it to work correctly.)
6. other small bug fixes and enhancements (new error texts, etc.)

Please let me know if you run into any issues! Thanks!

- Brian

BETA version 4 contains the following fixes and new features:

Changes made in Jamroom 1.0 BETA 4 (08/14/2003)

1. A new Theme has been included - "Infra-Red" (red/gray based theme similair to the Cobalt Blue theme)
2. A new "forgotten Password" system so users can request a new password via e-mail. Once they get the e-mail they can login with the new password.
(note: there are 2 new settings in the config/settings.cfg.php that control this behaviour - make sure you check them out, as well as a new sub directory within config (config/templates) that contains the template file of the e-mail that is sent out to the user when they request a password reset).
3. Login variables in the login routine have been made more unique to prevent conflicts with other PHP scripts running on the same server (phpNuke, etc.)
4. a new "Disk Usage" section in the STATISTICS screen - this shows the used/free/total disk usage for Jamroom. (this is the begiinning of disk quotas for Jamroom bands)
5. Registration screen now reminds you how long you have been running Jamroom so you know when it's time to register Wink
6. a new "session name" variable in the settings.cfg.php file where you can specifiy the PHP Session name for Jamroom (leave this at default unless you are experiencing problems).
7. New improved "setup.sh" setup script for those with shell access allows you to specify the number of bands you want to setup up INITIAL access for - it will ensure that all directories and sub-directories are permissioned correctly. (if you are not running PHP in safe mode Jamroom will add more directories as needed as well)
7. more small bug fixes and tweaks

Please provide any feedback on how this new version works for you. Thanks!

- Brian

BETA version 3 contains the following fixes and new features:

Changes made in Jamroom 1.0 BETA 3

1. The Jamroom Ranking System makes its debut - please see http://www.talldude.com/jamroom/docs.shtml for a link to the JRS documentation.
2. More checking has been put into the login.php script to try and eliminate bad session logins (on-going work here).
3. A new "setup.sh" shell script is provided for those that have shell access - in one shot it will make sure all of the required directories have their permissions set correctly.
4. A new config file - config/user_genre.cfg.php makes its entry - PLEASE put your custom musical genres in this file ONLY. This will prevent you from losing your custom musical genres in the case of an upgrade.
5. The Installation routine now makes an initial back-up copy of the Master database settings file (config/.htpasswd.<epoch_time>).
6. various other small fixes, tweaks, and text changes.

Please let me know if anyone runs into more issues with this beta version.

Upgrading is easy - just overwrite your current Jamroom install with this new distribution.

Thanks!!

- Brian

Changes made in Jamroom 1.0 BETA 2

1. PHP Safe Mode not creating output html / band files
2. "Settings" section was not saving database variables correctly and was overwriting the master database settings file (config/.htpasswd) with a corrupted one.
3. The Master database settings file (config/.htpasswd) is now backed up (.htpasswd.<epoch_time>) When changes are made in case the changes need to be "backed out"
4. post variables were re-ordered in the login.php script - hopefully will cut down on the "login loop" issue.
5. "Read More" link page included with Moss Theme was actually the one for the "plain" theme - the correct Moss-based theme is in place now for extended messages.
6. Several more small tweaks and changes here and there.

Last edited by Brian on 10/11/03 06:55; edited 11 times in total
illana

Posted: 07/30/03 14:07 
Silly question time Brian. Does overwriting all the files as you suggest not reset the config files data....like (mysql) server name, username,password etc?

Illana

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/30/03 14:41 
Illana -

The server name, user name, database name and password is stored (encrypted) in the config/.htpasswd file. Since the distribution does not over write that file, you should have no problems.

Just an FYI - the config/.htpasswd is a very important file for Jamroom - I would recommend backing it up after you install Jamroom, since it if is deleted, Jamroom will think it is not installed, and prompt you for a re-install.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

illana

Posted: 07/30/03 15:07 
Brian, you are a very patient man, dealing with my newb questions:) Thank you very much.

Illana

bbkhiav

Posted: 08/18/03 01:23 
Brian,

You have done a fantastic job! I have been searching for somehing like Jamroom for quite a while now, and I am too excited right now to finish this post 'cos I want to test it out on my site... I'll get back to you later! Just wanted to say THANKS for all the hard work and creativity you put into Jamroom

best

Babak

Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/01/03 02:38 
Downloaded Version 1.0, and uploaded it to my server.
I've noticed that whenever I upload a new revision (using Filezilla), I always end up with a load of files apparantly not gone with the message 'Too Many Retries'.
I've sucessfully uploaded them again individually, so maybe its my server?
Anyways - after having done all this, when loggin on as admin, it still says Jamroom 1.0b5 at the bottom, so maybe something hasn't uploaded right after all?
Cheers
Pash

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/01/03 08:54 
Oopps!

Pash -

I have fixed the "version number bug" and re-uploaded a correct version. I actually received several e-mails about it overnight. DOH! Shocked

As for your FTP issue, I am not sure what's happening. I use FileZilla on a daily basis and have never had an issue.. that's really wierd. what happens when you upload other packages (ones that have a mix of images and ascii pages, such as another PHP package, like phpnuke?). Your server could have problems with FTP...

Sorry again for the bug!

- Brian

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Announcements

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons