Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
JR4 Battle Module
jamesd116

Posted: 03/17/13 20:04 
Steve the battle module could actually be a very effective tool if done right. With each genre there is probably a better way to do it but as far as rap goes I believe a live battle would be best. Here in America rap battles are very popular in the streets and rappers will freestyle against each other or just group together and freestyle in general. I believe a live version would along with the video upload version would work well. Also I believe thelive battle theory could cntrol some of the spam votes beause everything is now. Battle now (live) vote now and vote ends doesntgive time to get go and vote yourself in over and over again. you can cheat still by telling all of your friends to go and signup and vote for you but thats the point though.
to get a good view on how and why rap battles are popular you can actually watch the movie 8 mile with eminem and you will see how they have little battles through out the movie and then they have a huge rapp battle at a venue at the end of the movie. ITs something thats not really new but ithas been around for over 20 yrs but mainly in the big cities.

SteveX:
Terry, don't buy anything ever again if you wish not to. That's your choice as a customer, obviously.

I'm probably from entirely the wrong generation of musicians and internetters, but I still don't get the idea of the battle at all. Seems like the antithesis of musical people to me, but there you go, just my understanding (lack of it) and musical experience.

Not saying that it makes no sense at all, just that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me, and no explanation has even come close to making me more enthusiastic about this very specific cause. What thf is the point?

Must admit, I still don't have a clue as to what it is supposed to achieve. For anyone concerned.

If musicians, audiences, programmers just don't get it, who are you aiming at? - actually, that's not fair, it might just be me who doesn't get it/feel it/understand it. But maybe that is applicable in a wider sense. Or maybe not.

For me, it isn't at all interesting (given my current understanding of the thing), maybe that's the root of the problem, again, in a wider sense. Really bad ideas don't progress - this is to the benefit of customers as well.

Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/24/13 07:39 
I've found and fixed 1 bug so far - basically it is a display bug where the "winner" does not move over to the winner column after the battle is over. I've been testing this quite a bit over yesterday and this morning and that's all I have come up with so far.

I can get this packaged up and released, but I'd like to fix up any more issues while I'm in the code. Any other issues anyone would like to add that I can check out?

Thanks!

- Brian

Ambassador

Posted: 03/24/13 22:11 

Ambassador:
Thanks, I'm happy this is getting some attention. It really is functional, but tough if you want to customize it.

1. When Use Credit is selected on the Create Battle page, the 1 to 1 ratio appears to be off by 2 zeros. Our site is set to give 100 in credit for $1. We are wanting the entering users to have the correct Credit deducted, but receive payout just like a normal digital sale without the % deducted. So on the Create Battle page, provide an input for Credit Entry, but also Prize in $$$. If this isn't possible, then we could try to handle prizes manually on an individual basis, but we prefer the first option.

2. Get the jrLogger function added to the final ENTER BATTLE button where credit gets deducted. This way the admin could keep track of credit transactions spent on battle entries in the credit_log. Have the Action say something like "battle_entry_purchase" or something like that. I have removed the UNDO column in the credit_log to avoid "undo" discrepancies.

3. Finally, certain variables are not being passed into the templates. We hired a developer to set up a helper module to pull in the NextRoundTime and YoutubeIDs into the templates battle_view. Now the countdown and Youtube's work on both the frontend and cp views.

Thanks Brian!

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/25/13 14:30 
#1 is a feature request, which is not something I am looking at right now.

#2 can be done - I'll look at additional logging.

#3 There is no "next round time" actually, but it might be able to be computed so I will check it out. As for You Tube variables, that must something you did custom since it's not setup to support YouTube battles.

- Brian

Ambassador

Posted: 03/27/13 11:45 
It was actually $BATTLE_NEXT_ROUND_TIME and $VIDEO_YOUTUBE_ID (for those that want Youtube Battles).
This is what Michael did using a 'helper module' to get the variables in to the templates/battle_view.tpl

{apUtil_util mode="get_extra_battle_next_round_time" battle_id=$battle_id assign="BATTLE_NEXT_ROUND_TIME"}

Ambassador

Posted: 04/02/13 11:59 
Hey Brian, do you know if there is a way to deeplink straight to "Open Battles." Always goes to active.

I know this is a feature request, but it would also be really great if admin could manual set Prize in case it was something custom.

adamhughes91

Posted: 04/05/13 18:12 
What exactly is wrong with it? I'm thinking about buying it for my JR4 site but is it not finished? Does it work? Please elaborate.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 04/06/13 10:30 
I'm not aware of any issues in the module, other than a bug I just fixed (which could make it so the "winner" did not move to the winners column on battle completion):

http://www.jamroom.net/index.php?m=td_market&o=browse&item_id=144

I just uploaded version 1.0.0 of the module.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

adamhughes91

Posted: 04/06/13 12:05 
What is everyone complaining about then?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 04/06/13 12:12 

adamhughes91:
What is everyone complaining about then?

I believe most of this thread is just feature requests. Everyone has a different idea of how a battle should be setup/run.

- Brian

adamhughes91

Posted: 04/08/13 09:17 
I have bought and installed the JR battle module but I have no clue where to find it on my site.

This is my site: www.mymusicrecords.com

This is the Maestro skin, which the module only came with Nova and Flashback but I went through the code in the Flashback skin for the battle module and changed some of the settings like this:

{config_load file="`$JAMROOM_DIR`/skins/Maestro/Maestro.cfg"}
{assign var="selected" value="battles"}
{assign var="title" value="battles"}
{assign var="no_inner_div" value="true"}
{include file="`$JAMROOM_DIR`/skins/Maestro/jr_header.tpl"}

For instance instead of /skins/Flashback/

But still I have went to http://mymusicrecords.com/jrBattle.php

and that's not it, so I'm lost. I know this makes me look like a noob but that's what I am. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 04/08/13 09:28 

adamhughes91:
I have bought and installed the JR battle module but I have no clue where to find it on my site.

This is my site: www.mymusicrecords.com

This is the Maestro skin, which the module only came with Nova and Flashback but I went through the code in the Flashback skin for the battle module and changed some of the settings like this:

{config_load file="`$JAMROOM_DIR`/skins/Maestro/Maestro.cfg"}
{assign var="selected" value="battles"}
{assign var="title" value="battles"}
{assign var="no_inner_div" value="true"}
{include file="`$JAMROOM_DIR`/skins/Maestro/jr_header.tpl"}

For instance instead of /skins/Flashback/

But still I have went to http://mymusicrecords.com/jrBattle.php

and that's not it, so I'm lost. I know this makes me look like a noob but that's what I am. Any help would be appreciated.

You will need to find out from N8Flex how to set it up, as we don't know how to do it in 3rd party skins.

- Brian

Ambassador

Posted: 05/09/13 12:40 
Is there a way to deeplink straight to "Open Battles" instead of Active?

Can you please explain which files were modified in your update?

Thanks man.

Ambassador

Posted: 05/18/13 19:07 
Also, the templates version of $battle_wager_amount carries in the dollar sign with it so "> 0" doesn't work. After running debug, it shows "$500" instead of "500" from the skins battle_list.tpl. Therefore "Bragging Rights" is always shown in the templates battle_view.tpl

Ambassador

Posted: 06/04/13 10:02 
Another bug, when SOME battles are modified, they go straight to the active voting round. Some do not.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

< Previous123Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules