Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Documentation and How To's:
Facebook Connect Module not really working
Matthias

Posted: 10/26/10 13:16 
First of all I have to say that I am writing a lot during the last couple weeks - but this is because I decided to give Jamroom a serious chance after 4 years of watching it develope and supporting you by buying all updates and upgrades during that time. Since then it has been an ongoing beta version and I really like your comittment. So at all please don`t get me wrong when I am asking things.

Now to the topic: I installed the facebook connect module as explained in the instructions. Everything looked good after the install but now that I am running a public beta version of my JR site I receive a lot of emails where people have problems really using it. So here are the major topics that appear.

1. Everytime when somebody uses Facebook Connect to log in they receive a message that tells them to type in their email adress because the system JR couldn`t get the information from FB.
Then after they type that in the second probem appears to be a steady problem.

2. After email confirmation they get an error message where it is stated that the password doesn`t concure to be right. So the entrance page to the JR page is even a more pain in the a... then it would be with a regular registration thru email and confirmation.

Then after all that hassle for a user the third point comes up.

3. Once a user activates that his user activity on the JR site is send to his wall nothing happens. They are stating on blogs, pressing the I-Like button and leave comments on videos or songs - nothing of these actions appear on their walls at all.

4. The I-like function is not transmitted to facebook at all - it is only seen on the JR site but that is it. Actually the I-Like function is supposed to be an easy stating and promotion tool. But it doesn`t help anything when the information isn`t handed over to their FB wall at all.

5. Once someone uses the Facebook Share button there is a small icon coming up on top of the Facebook icon on the JR site and then the more important downer is that only the link of a site is delivered to FB into the individual comment link to wall page. No chance to choose at least a picture from the artist they are forwarding to their wall. When the Facebook Share function is added to a Song in an artist profile nor the player or the the song information is posted to their comment window. This is seemless for any user after he experienced it the first time. The user will never click the fb share button again. I understand that argument.

6. For me as the admin it is hard to get the setup perfectly up and running because I didn`t really find a lot of documentation for the module. So there comes up the problem as written shortly in the instructions that the quota that you want a facebook connect to be connected to needs to be setup in the "signup.tpl" . Well I did that but still under Nova if someone just hits the "Sign up with FB Connect" then they will be redirected to facebook immidiately instead of beeing able to choose if they want to sign up for an artist or a fan account. This leads to a lot of emails where people logged in and later saw that they wanted to have an artist account but I set up the member account as default. In other words in the "signup.tpl" I set JR Connect for both Quotas with the individual ID which is given in the standard setup of JR. "1" for artitst and "-1" for members.

7. When someone decides to deactivate his JR/FB application in FB then this action isn`t recognized in the JR database and the user has problems to register or even login again. Because the JR system then comes with a message that the email is allready registered.

I have been looking deeply into the code and tried to figure out how you parse the data to Fb and from JR - but I have to say that after round about 30 hours of email answering and code checking I think this is not my part of the job because I paid for a Facebook Module that is supposed to do the Job I primarly paid for.

Therefor I hope you can solve these problems fast or tell me how to configure my JR installation so that all of these problems, that appear to be there steady, are solved. I either need a detailed documentation of the code and how you use your attributes and how the various data is collected and saved as well as send to the database etc ...

As said at the beginning of this thread - I totally appreciate your work and I think I am a patient customer of you. But this time things are going up on air and I would really like to see that it finally turns out to be a good choice.

I hope to receive the working solutions fast.
Best Matthias

Matthias

Posted: 10/26/10 13:33 
Btw. I am still waiting for answers on the problems with:
- multiuploader and JR4.2.3 as stated in 4.2.2 there was no problems I would like to install 4.2.2 but I deleted it because of to much optimizm.

- Users Online still aren`t showing in Nove
- J3X Master Kit is not really in a production state because it lacks of documentation and the support is very slow
- How to influence what is shown in update row ( at the moment everything even a second modification or a third modification is shown in the update area -- this is going to be an overloaded spam and short on attention span rate gaining)
- j4Xpw Picture player shows html code instead of clean text (caption codes aren`t interprated right - html code is projected into the player)
- J3Master Kit audio and Video players do not work as profile radio station or profile video station at minimum a user alike me cannot manage it because I do not know what variables are used and how the attributes are send to the applications .... waiting

iLoveHouseMusic

Posted: 10/26/10 13:45 
I'm not using the FB module to the full extent you are, but I am having a few difficulties getting it to work as well:

http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36898&highlight=facebook

Matthias

Posted: 10/28/10 18:44 
Okay I have made some more detail testruns and it seems that thru the autocreation process of a temporary password after signing up thru Facebook this password gets into conflict with the password that is given to facebook. Then the user can change the password in his profile options but I don`t think that the facebook connection is ever established and within this no Wall posts or emailservices are provided.

Could the creator of this module please have a look and test this too and bug fix it. At the moment this module is not working and I don`t understand why there is no answer to my primary post untill now at all.

Best Matthias

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 10/30/10 07:58 

Matthias:
Okay I have made some more detail testruns and it seems that thru the autocreation process of a temporary password after signing up thru Facebook this password gets into conflict with the password that is given to facebook. Then the user can change the password in his profile options but I don`t think that the facebook connection is ever established and within this no Wall posts or emailservices are provided.

Could the creator of this module please have a look and test this too and bug fix it. At the moment this module is not working and I don`t understand why there is no answer to my primary post untill now at all.

Best Matthias

If you have issues, you'll want to make sure and post them in out "Jamroom Help" forum. This is the "User Documentation and How-To's" forum, so it's not somewhere that is monitored like our Jamroom Help forum.

Your post is very long, but I will check things out. Please note that the Facebook Connect module is NOT 100% reliable, and it is because the Facebook end of things can easily change from one request to the next. For some of your users everything wlll work, and then for the next user it won't work at all (since Jamroom cannot retrieve their info). Everything is setup properly in the module, but Facebook's response changes.

So once again, please make sure and post in our Help forum for assistance and your question won't be overlooked.

Thanks!

- Brian

Matthias

Posted: 10/31/10 06:23 
Hi Brian,
sorry I need to tell you that this only sounds to me as excuses. I am a professional too and once I understand your coding structure and CMS into more detail I would be able to tell you what exactly is going wrong.
Anyway you know it and I know it too that there is not that much of a big change thruout the time at facebook at all with facebook connect. Actually it is one of the most stablest interfaces out there at the moment. Just think about myspace, youtube, netlog etc ... Anyway you also know that for almost over 120 opensource CMSes out there (alike Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal, Typo - just to name the biggest) all have Facebook integration working stable, easy and without such issues that I reported.

And well yes it is kind of long because there are a lot of bugs and problems you still have in your code. Otherwise it would work alike a charme and no post would be needed at all. But to charge money for a total beta version and then say it is the others who aren`t stable is not an argument.

Let me know when you think you will be working on the final version for this module.
Best Matthias

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 10/31/10 08:17 
No offense, but its clear to me you've never worked with Facebook Connect. I have no plans on going into details - it's not worth my time. You can consider it an "excuse" if you want - you're free to have your own opinion.

- Brian

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 10/31/10 08:27 
A great blog that sums up my feelings on Facebook's API:

http://ryanwaggoner.com/2010/09/im-done-building-facebook-apps-for-clients/

- Brian

kingjnr6

Posted: 01/29/12 17:38 
I'm not sure whether I'm angry or not.... but one thing's for sure, I didn't really like the way you handled the jrFacebook module issue. I bought the module as well and it has done totally nothing. Always showing errors no matter how much I re-install and set everything right. If it's such a pain i the arse you should not sell it to us. Or rather put a note saying this module will not help you in any way but just pay $30 for it. Anyway, I hope you get solutions soon. Really disappointed though.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Documentation and How To's

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules
• Jamroom Marketplace