Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom:
Performance
christunion

Posted: 05/10/07 11:29 
What can i expect in terms of maximum ammount of users that Jamroom can support on 1 dedicated redhat box 2.8 and a gig of ram?

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 05/10/07 12:02 
it will start to choke at approximately 40-70 simultaneous visitors depending on what they're doing and what software is installed (like control panel for the server).

you could have thousands of artists, as long as they dont all come to the site at the same time.

hope this helps!

*quote is based on a rough guestimation based on my experience with jamroom and all types and sizes of servers. Your actuall experience may be better or worse depending on the activity of your site. There are many variables involved in determining how worthy a server is of your needs. For a growing site, spend more and allow it to grow. Tighten up your wallet later when things slow down.

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/10/07 12:25 
I would place that a bit higher then DJ personally - I'd say in just "visitors", it would be more like 150 or so - I've seen 500 simultaneous users on a Dual Xeon 2.8ghz with 2gigs ram - although it was running a good load.

- Brian

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 05/10/07 12:30 

bigguy:
I would place that a bit higher then DJ personally - I'd say in just "visitors", it would be more like 150 or so - I've seen 500 simultaneous users on a Dual Xeon 2.8ghz with 2gigs ram - although it was running a good load.

- Brian

I would agree with just visitors Wink

But get artists in there creating lofi files and uploading and listening to there own songs, and you've got a server spiraling down in slow motion Wink

I had to move mediakinesis.com off of a celeron 2.4/1GB ram at about 100 artists, because I couldn't regenerate the artist pages anymore, and the lofi files wouldn't convert without the server spinning out of control. This is with only 20-25 active simultaneous "artists" (not visitors Wink). The same server works great though for business oriented, non server intensive, sites Wink The load hasn't broken 1 since I moved mediakinesis.com off...previously it would hover between 3 and 9 Shocked

I put that same site (and another) on a Dual Xeon 3.2/4GB ram, and the server never breaks 0.1 load with over 400 artists online (between 2 sites) Wink

Good call though Wink

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/10/07 12:42 
ahh yes - if you have users "working" in the control panel, they di place a bit more load on the server.

Note that "visitors" (i.e. looking at artist profiles, listing or viewing videos, etc.) actually place very little load on the system.

Also - making sure you chart caching, and other "cache" setting are set properly really helps.

It's all in the LOFI Creator Wink

- Brian

christunion

Posted: 05/10/07 12:54 
In terms of placeing jamroom in a web farm architecture. how would that work? would i need a load balancer?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/10/07 13:00 

christunion:
In terms of placeing jamroom in a web farm architecture. how would that work? would i need a load balancer?

I'm not sure - it all depends on your setup. If your Jamroom is large, Jamroom has been designed to work with the Jamroom Cluster Server:

http://www.jamroom.net/Jamroom3_Cluster_Server_Install

If you want to do something different, you'd want to discuss that with your hosting provider or system architect.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

christunion

Posted: 05/10/07 13:23 
one last question when i open up a stream on my dedicated box in winamp i constantly get buffer messages which puts breaks in the sound. Is that normal?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/10/07 13:26 

christunion:
one last question when i open up a stream on my dedicated box in winamp i constantly get buffer messages which puts breaks in the sound. Is that normal?

no - but there are a lot of reasons why it can happen. I'd recommend setting the Jamroom Config -> Media Settings -> Audio Boost to something like 40% and see if that helps.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons