Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
'Band Members' fields
uvfreak

Posted: 01/24/07 11:34 
Hi, what I would like to do is have the band members input linkable to URLS they choose.

ie. a band profile is created and the members of the band can be clicked on which will take you do a different page about the members (i have the members section sorted) I need to know if its possible to modify the 'band members' output to links

Any idea on how this would be achieved?

I have Jamroom 2 core, bonus and powerpack
I do not want to upgrade to jamroom 3 at present as I have all the features i need in Jamroom 2.

Can anyone help?

(if anyone can help me do this I can return the favour with some free hosting/tools)

Thanks,

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/24/07 11:53 
I doubt that would be possible. Does JR2 have multiple users that attach to bands? I think that would be the way to do it. You can get output of their favorites and match some categories for blog and additional images, but I don;t know what you mileage would be with JR2.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
uvfreak

Posted: 01/24/07 12:12 
Hi, thanks for the reply, are you referring to the users that create bands?
I mean the text field where you specify the bands 'band members' - it outputs as text.

I would like to make the outputted text link to URLS

so basically instead of one text box where you type your band members, I would like say 10 boxes where you type each of the members and beside them another 10 boxes where you type the URL/link.
Then on the outputted page you can click a band member (eg the guitarist) and then be taken to another page (that i make) with information about them).

Is this achievable in any way? Im willing to pay/give away webhosting etc..

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/24/07 12:34 
It doesnt really sound feasible, not without being messy anyway. I did mean the member/users, jr_whos_online is a handy way of accessing a band's members.

You could try duplicating the band website field throughout the control panel, but that will be a hassle every time you want to upgrade.

Or, if you are making the extra pages, could you allow html in the artist blog and set up a default post that they could modify?

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

uvfreak

Posted: 01/24/07 13:11 
I just thought of a way but not sure how to do it.

The 'background/story' field allows html and bbcode, how can I allow the 'band members' to do this?

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/24/07 13:14 
I think what you would want to do is change the language string in the english.lang.php file for v2 (I don't know where that is exactly, though) for that section. Then, user's can just type in links in that section and you can embed the variable in your theme templates wherever you want to show the links. Users would just use html and bbcode as usual in that box.

Yes...that's a soda machine...

I get bored when no one's posting...
uvfreak

Posted: 01/24/07 13:24 
thanks for the reply, any idea what I type/change? Im new to this sort of coding.

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/24/07 13:36 
just find the string for background/bio or whatever the fieldname is in the control panel, and change it to whatever you want.

uvfreak

Posted: 01/25/07 12:19 
I dont want to replace the background/bio, i just want the same input/output as that field.

How would I do this and what file?

thanks,

uvfreak

Posted: 01/27/07 06:17 
Anyone have an idea?

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/27/07 17:49 
You would break your Jamroom and lose support because of customising the core files, but if you are able to do it, you should have no problem finding and duplicating the bio field in the core files and database.

The next upgrade will need you to do it all over again though.

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/28/07 00:21 
If you upgrade to Jamroom 3, this is a feature where you can add custom fields to each users profile, and you could add a "links" field. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Jamroom 3 if you can.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons